Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Heat Wave

We seem to be in the middle of a heat wave in Ohio.  Of course, it isn't just Ohio, all the mid-west and eastern states seem to be in the same oven.  Our temperatures have been hovering in the near 100's for more than a week now.

Storms have torn through towns across the country.  Taking down trees and electric lines.  Power has been lost and it give us cause to rethink the dependency we have on electricity.  No air conditioning, no lights, no water, food in the freezer thawing and no showers. 

Oh some of us may have generators, but they will only run if there is gas to feed them.  What happens when there is no gas?  What about farms with animals to feed and water. 

I don't want to cause alarm, but don't you wonder if you could survive without all the modern conveniences of electric and gas?  I haven't watched all the survivor shows on TV for nothing, I might be able to make fire or build a little dry structure if necessary.   I wonder if I could continue to survive without all the modern conveniences?  Scares me a little to think about. 

A favorite book.........
I haven't had a garden in awhile, only growing a tomato plant or two.  Certainly not enough to live on.  I used to can tomatoes and green beans and corn.  I could do it again if I had to.  The thing is, you never know when the crisis will come, I wouldn't be ready to start today!!!! 

I'd love to have my own chickens and even a cow or goat to milk.  Not that I drink milk, but it can be used in cooking and making butter.  I am angered to the point of no return when I see government telling us we can't have home gardens and medicinal herbs growing around our yards.  It isn't neat and tidy like yards with sprinkler systems that get mowed on a weekly basis, most lawns can survive drought conditions.  Heaven forbid a family would have chickens or a goat!!!  I know of some housing areas that won't even allow a clothes line for wet laundry. 

Back in the 70's we were more conscious about wasting.   Before that, the great depression taught our elders to use and reuse everything!   Today we live in a throw away society and I get angry when an appliance has a life expectancy of only 10 years.  My kitchen range was twenty-five years old when we got married, I can still get it fixed today, at 50 years old it's considered an antique now.  I love that stove, no smooth cooktop for me, no self cleaning oven and it still works beautifully! 

Okay, meandering again, just saying, I think we all need to be more self sufficient.  It is a matter of survival.   Back in the 70's there was a softbound book I bought, Carla Emery's "An Encyclopedia of Country Living, Old Fashioned Recipe Book".  It talks about everything you could possibly want to know about surviving as a homesteader.  I will still look for something in this book now and then.   There is a book similar, if not the same, maybe an updated version on book shelves today.  Years ago, when my children were moving into their own places, they got a copy of this book, I wonder if they still have that book ...........  











1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete