Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Sleeping in the Tipi

Last night I slept in the tipi.  It was a wonderful night for July to be out there, we have little humidity in the air this year, could be because we are experiencing a drought across the country.

When I'm alone in the tipi,  I count the dogs as company, so not really alone, I usually go out late, maybe eleven or after.  It is always quiet and dark, I  have wood ready for a fire and will often bring a flute to play or sometimes a drum.  I have my own little ceremony before lighting the fire.  It seems I am in constant gratitude for even the smallest gifts found in my days.

The fire isn't really needed for heat in the summer, it does provide light and maybe helps with creepy crawly things.  I have never been bitten by mosquitoes in the tipi.  Of course creepy crawly don't much bother me, we usually have a toad that takes care of things in tipi.


Anyway, not much goes on in the tipi when I'm alone.  However, when I have friends come and stay with me all that changes.  We'll go out earlier, sometimes sit and talk at the outside fire.  When we all go inside the tipi and get our beds ready and sit around the fire, our tiredness is suddenly gone and we can stay awake a while longer laughing and sharing stories.

I have been blessed with some special ceremonies in my tipi lodge.  We will drum, sing and play the flutes and most importantly pray.  These are often moments for the memory to record, there are no photos taken, no recordings and certainly held with much honor and respect. 

The nights are usually quiet, my tipi sits as far from our road and house as I can get it.  We will hear a distant dog bark, an owl in the trees nearby, night insects are singing their songs.  One night I heard snorting, from a deer I decided.  I think one had a fawn in the trees not far away.  I will even hear coyotes yelping in the distance.  My dogs have  often been drawn out of the tipi for something I never hear, I always pray it isn't a skunk.  Raccoon sometimes can be heard chattering, but all have kept their distance and for that I'm grateful!



Morning sunrise is cause for celebration, a new day!   The birds start their song at first light and they can be deafening!  I am always awakened at dawn by their singing and the morning light on the tipi.  I'll cover my head and try to go back to sleep for a little longer.  I find it hard to sleep under such conditions.  The dogs will still be snoring peacefully, worn out from running outside and checking to make sure all is well outside the tipi.



I love when my grand children come and stay with me in the tipi.  They giggle and wiggle around.  The fire lights their faces as we talk and catch up on things in their life.  Pretty soon they are snuggling into their sleeping bags and are visited by their dreams.  I look at their sweet faces and am grateful to share this space with them.





No comments:

Post a Comment