Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Trying To Stay Focused

I long to attack my endless list of "things to get done".  There is always so much to do.  Sometimes I am unable to do something planned because of all the never ending rain we have had.  Our yard is taller than ever, as the rain encourages it to grow.  The moment it looks dry enough I will begin mowing, finding a trail of muddy mower tracks following me.  Do I stop and wait for it to dry or just swim on through? 

I can't seem to focus on anything to any great degree.  I discover myself trying to hang a picture, in looking for the proper hanger in the cabinet, I find myself cleaning out the cabinet and forgetting why I was there in the first place.  Picture still not hung and the day is over.  And besides I don't remember seeing any picture hangers or maybe I would have remembered the picture and stopped the cabinet cleaning.  Who knows if I'd every have gotten back to cleaning the cabinet. 


The Great Wall Project......

I have painted a wall in a bedroom that is rarely used.  It seemed to fulfill a creative void I've had recently.  I am expecting company soon and this would freshen up the room a little.  Everyone who knows me thinks I am not all together sane, starting a project in the middle of "cleaning house".   It is not uncommon for me to do some big art project when there is so much else to do.  This project was one of those things I've thought about doing since my daughter still called it her bedroom.  For some reason it never got done.  Until last week that is. 

You see, I have company coming and yes they are, to my delight, staying with us for the weekend.  Painting the wall in the bedroom is just something to help me pass the time before the visit.  Something to keep me busy and distracted from the emotional excitement that I am feeling about the visit.  I can't seem to concentrate on any one thing too long and since this project requires layers of paint, that means some down time to let it dry.  Just what I need to keep my brain engaged on a project. 

The funny part is, it doesn't end here, now I need to dress up the beds a little......  and one project leads into the next and before long, several days have passed and I am that much closer to spending the weekend with company.  As I write this I am aware that in a week and one day my new found brother and his wife will be here for a visit.  My heart races and my smile is ear to ear.  Oh dear, I better go and check that list again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment