Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Another Discovery.......


My home when I was small.....

Seems like my life lately has been filled with discovery.  I have been trying to connect to a family tree that has been hidden from me my entire life.  I have been successful at making contacts and suddenly I have a "new" family. 


Names that were written along side a photo when I was very small are now revealed to me as grandparents, aunts and cousins.  I have taken a more serious look at each photo to see what other clues they might hold.  Things that are captured in photos before I was old enough to remember.  This has been fun and sadly there are not tons of photos, I'm sure pictures were not as freely taken in those days, nothing like the digital age we live in today.

The digital camera has been very helpful to me in this discovery.  A visit to cemetery's where family members now rest and pictures of headstones were taken this week.  My travel brought me to a road I don't drive much anymore.  It was a road I have been down throughout my youth and adult life.  For some reason, I have always been drawn to a particular house on this road.  I always slow down and look and wonder about this house.  I don't know why I've always been drawn to this old farmhouse in the country.  I decided on the way home that day to take a picture of this old two story farmhouse.   


The two story house is rather run down now, although the front porch is still there in it's original state.  I noticed an old cement urn in the yard, it looks strange sitting out there, I was curious why it would be sitting there.  I didn't take a picture of it, but will go back now that I know.........  It is one of the original urns that sat at either sided of the steps in the old photo.


Old Clifton Road 2011.....
I was looking through my baby photo album and there it was, the picture of the same house!  Oh My Gosh!  I could I not have remembered that this was a home I lived in with my parents, I was only one.  Why was it never shared?  Is this why I have always felt connected to this house?  Was it because of the picture in the album that I remembered this house or was it something way, way back in my toddler memory.  I think the latter, our photo albums were not something that we spent time exploring as children, they were kept away and safe.  I was given the album after I was married, some 40 years ago.  I didn't take time to explore pictures of my past.  And so here I am, uncovering some most interesting hidden facts about my "lost" family and history.

I think it's pretty cool this house still stands and the connection is made after all these years.

2 comments:

  1. More than 'cool'! It is timely, Cynthia. You are probably doing some soul energy retrieval for yourself as well as unearthing connections and records that can now be passed along to your grandkids. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember me telling you about the boyfriend of 50 years ago and reaquainting myself with him changed my whole perspective of the past....I think this journey that you are on will change you also....just mho Nancy

    ReplyDelete