Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Making The Most of My Time

I am trying hard to do some important work now that I am home and focused.   My wonderful husband is out of town and I can do anything I want, no schedules, no major cooking and complete quiet.  Well, this sounds good, I'm having trouble with the complete quiet.........  if you haven't guessed, I'm a people person.  I miss my husband, I often think, oh, I should be starting supper, or OMG, today is trash day, or I get up in the morning and have to make my own coffee....    And who am I going to tell about washing the horses to cool them off and who cares if I scheduled someone to come clean the carpet and who wants to hear me complain about how hot it is? 

Each of my children call me, to see if I need help with something.  It is a very thoughtful thing for them to do, watching out for me while Richard is away.  Emily came to help me wash the horses, it became a party, Ryan and grand daughters, Cait and Lizzy also came to help.  There were a few, "oops, sorry, I didn't really mean to spray you!"  giggle, giggle moments.  The horses thought they had died and gone to heaven.  Standing around all day they stomp the flys off, they sweat and they itch.   A cool bath was such a pleasure to them.  We also washed Jessie, our Lab.  She needed a bath more for the cleaning, the cooling part was the bonus for her. 

I really should be in the studio today, I have this wonderful idea!   I've mentioned that I am making Art Journals.   Books with pages of original art, created by paint, stamps, markers, photos and whatever.  And
also some words of wisdom or journaling an event.  What fun they are, I love them and they are such a new creative process for me, art with a loose structure, allowing something to happen and flowing with it.  Details are not necessary and no two pages are alike.  So it offers amazing freedom.

Being the business minded person that I am, I have decided to make little 5x7 or 8x10 pieces of art, just little original art pieces, based on the Art Journals.    I have the hardest time allowing myself to just play, it seems I am compelled to call my playtime work!  If it is truly "work" then there must be a way to market it.    I was brought up to be busy at something constructive, many people would look at my art journal as play, it is all about me and for me.  So maybe not work, more like wasting time, at least to them.  It is much the same when my wonderful husband walks in the door and I'm at the computer, I call it time to work, he see's it as wasting time.  All in the eyes of the beholder......  

At this time in my life, I cannot waste time, there is so much I want to do, so many things yet to experience.
So it is, I am going to continue with the Art Journals, for myself.  I will just expand my creative process into a little original artwork that can be framed and sold.  Woohoo, heading to the studio for some serious creating while I have no schedules, no cooking and complete quiet!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can soooo relate to what you say here about being busy doing something constuctive and that means something that has the potential to sell. This has caused me to stop painting for a while! It's sad, difficult and I haven't thought my way out of it yet.
    Good to know that at least I am not the only one who often equates doing someting useful with making some money!
    I even once owned and art gallery. I know art is not an easy thing to sell, but still....the concept is there.
    Glad I looked at your post today.
    Oh and my husband has just come home from a week away!

    ReplyDelete