Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Saturday, July 3, 2010

This Beautiful Day

I love when I've been asleep and am slowly coming back from my dream world, my mind drifts between reality and somewhere else.  I had such a pleasant experience today, I hope to capture the essence of it to share with you.

I will start with the day itself.  At nine thirty this morning Massie Creek Flute Circle met on the studio porch.  There were eight of us this beautiful morning, all bringing many flutes to play.  We played our flutes to the sounds of nature that surrounded us, the hummingbirds at the feeder, the wren feeding her noisy brood in the gourd house, as well as to a backtrack Cd with piano and guitar music to give our songs even more soul and heart.  The breeze was heavenly, the sky was clear and blue.  We have had several days of perfect weather this week, not typical for the third day of July.  We were all grateful for this beautiful morning.
Our flute circle is rather informal and very relaxed.  Today a member played his version of "God Bless America", in honor of the Fourth of July.  We then all played a song that we have been able to memorize, each taking a turn.  If we hadn't memorized one, we played what the Creator gave us for that moment.  It was a wonderful sharing of songs.

After a few hours on the porch playing flutes, it was time to take our drums, rattles and a flute to the tipi lodge.  I thought it would be nice to have a little fire, even though by this time it was noon, and the sun was much warmer.  The wood really didn't want to make a fire, maybe we should have made note of this and given up the idea.  Did I mention that the sun was baring down on this tipi sitting in the open horse pasture?  Okay, maybe the fire wasn't such a good idea, with much coaching it did start.   I had to roll up the west wall of the tipi and a wonderful breeze helped push the heat up to the open top of the lodge and again it was more comfortable.  Time goes by quickly when you are in the moment.  We played our drums and flutes and told stories for a couple of hours before finding our way back to the house.  It was a wonderful day sharing of music and friendships.

Sorry to be meandering so much, I needed to lay the ground work for the nap I took inside the tipi this afternoon.  When I returned to my lodge about four thirty, the coals of the fire were still smoldering.  I lay near the raised wall of the tipi, to enjoy the breeze coming across the field from the west.  No covers were needed as I fell into a very deep sleep.  

I don't know how long I slept, as I began to awake, with my eyes still closed I listened to the sounds around me.  I hear birds, a crow far off, songbirds nearby, I can even hear the insects.  I wonder where the red-tailed hawk is that I saw near the tipi last night.  Then it happens, I feel the cool breeze come into the the lodge, I open my eyes ever so slightly.  The sun is lower in the sky now, I squint as I look into the sun under the tipi edge, the tall grasses are blowing, the sun from behind gives them a glow.  I close my eyes and am transported to another place... another time....  Am  I dreaming or am I remembering something that is stored in my soul, a memory from my ancestors, a past life perhaps?  I feel the heat of the wind blown prairie, the time when there were tipi lodges everywhere, a village of many.  I keep my eyes closed, I smell the campfire still, one of the most wonderful aromas in the world.  I hear horses grazing nearby, are they mine or are they in this foggy place from the past?  I hear the flute, singing a long mournful song, it too is being played in a far off place in my memory.  I am in a good place, now I really don't want to wake up.  I want to feel this ancient place with my eyes closed, I want to remember that time of long ago, when things were simple and slower.  I want to be there for as long as I can, I don't want to wake up, I love this place I've found, even if it is only in a dream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment