Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

You Might Say.............

I know, I know, I should not be sitting at the computer!  I don't know why I am writing a blog when I have so much to do today!  I think I want you to know that an artists life is not as calm and peaceful as one might think!  This has been the busiest month of my entire year!  I have barely gotten to enjoy the quiet beauty of fall and soak up the last warm summer days. 

Oh don't get me wrong, summer was busy, maybe not working quite as much as most summers.  It started when I discovered that I have played far to much this summer.  Going from Washington DC to Florida, Wisconsin and local Native American Flute Events took big chunks of time away from the studio.  Would I do it again to avoid this crunch time in October?  In a heartbeat, I had a blast this summer! 

I should be finishing laundry and packing right now!   I am leaving early tomorrow morning for my annual fall trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  I am going to a retreat with a friend.  My wonderful husband is staying home to care for the animals and work on the honey-do list I made for him.  I know it sounds like I am having all the fun, but seriously, he also takes his weekend get-aways with his shooting friends.  Then his wonderful wife stays home with the critters and enjoys not having to cook! 

I mentioned the retreat I am heading to tomorrow.  It is called the Mending Medicine Retreat, a weekend of learning about our circle around the Medicine Wheel.  It is really much more now, I am spending time with a family that is called, the Circle of Nations.  I have come to know people from Ireland, France and Norway as well as people from all over the United States.  They all have the same belief that we can change the world by connecting again with the things that are important, getting back to basic needs.   Believing that love, care of our Mother Earth and being connected to nature are the only way to live and survive.  These people that gather have become brothers and sisters in my life.

This yearly trip comes at a good time and a bad time.......... there is a balance here.   I am anxious and even stressed about getting my studio cleaned for my annual open house.  Taking a week (driving time included) to relax and be with friends is a good way to prepare me for my open house mentally.  I know that the important things are not how many gourds I have made or even how perfectly clean the studio is.  It is totally about the people that come to spend the weekend at my studio.  They will be coming to share my passion for gourds and my passion for flutes.  They are the other family that have become my brothers and sisters and I can't wait to see them all again!

Okay, I feel better now.........   I am going to the studio to pack up a mailing, going to the post office, doing laundry, packing my bags, gathering a few flutes, cleaning the car..............    Oh, I know there must be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment