Meandering Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts
Summer

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Tipi is Up

Last night, about six in the evening my son, Ryan arrived.  Richard, my wonderful husband was already finished with supper and I was gathering the rest of the items.  The tipi was going to go up now, ready or not.

I have always felt that many hands make the job easier for all.  Last night I realized that might not be true.  It was just the three of us and I wasn't as much as a participant as I would have liked.  I'd been to the dentist and had a tooth pulled.  Ouch!  Not suppose to lift or be doing anything that required much effort.  So I got to give instructions.  Now most of you know how well that works sometimes and the reverse can be said of men telling women.  It is a fair statement and I share this information with a smile, sometimes it goes well, other times it is like talking a different language. 

Maybe they took a little pity because I wasn't 100% and in no mood to debate how we did it the first year or even last year.  When you only do something once a year, it is difficult to remember the details and even if that detail worked.  With well written instruction and drawings in hand, I proceeded to tell them exactly what the instructions said.  The tipi went up perfectly! 

Due to the wear on the tipi canvas we were all a little worried about the finished step, anchoring the canvas.  It looks like the canvas will see another season.  I have a few repairs to make, but for the most part, she is up and beautiful.  Today I will go out and have my own ceremony inside this tipi lodge.  Listen for some drum and flute filling the air with gratiude and blessings.




1 comment:

  1. What a great tradition. Enjoy your tipi and all that it conveys.

    ReplyDelete